Friday, February 19, 2016

The Things That Keep Me Up At Night

Every night it takes me a good two hours to fall asleep once I crawl into bed.    My husband can, and does, fall asleep within minutes of his head hitting the pillow.  I can't fall asleep that fast in bed, but put me in the truck and I'm like a baby snuggled up in her car seat being lulled to sleep by the movement of the drive.

I have been been guilty of taking three hour naps on a Sunday afternoon.  Three.Hours. That's not a nap, that's half a nights sleep!

Some of the random things that have popped in my head of late while trying to fall asleep:

Wanting just one more chapter. I'm digging into a good book and I don't want to stop reading.  If I do I know I can't pick it up again until after a full day of work.

Why do the dogs find it necessary to act like ninjas and sneak onto the bed and then lay directly on my ankle bone.

What's it going to be like when we are empty nesters?  How will the grocery bills drop? Will I be able to cook for two instead of four? When will we see the kids?   Will our oldest show our youngest the ropes, or will the youngest because a victim of being duct taped to the wall?  Will our youngest analyze everyone he comes in contact with? Will he call home?

What will it be like on Friday night's in fall when we aren't at football games?  What's it going to be like getting free time back?

Why is it that my mother plays favorites and is ok with not keeping in contact with all five of her children?

Once our kids finish college, how often will we see them?

Why do people only contact you when they need something?  We have had someone reach out that pretty much thinks they are entitled, but haven't talked to us in months.

What's with teenage girls sticking their tongues out in every picture.  (This doesn't keep me up at night, I just want to know why.  You might as well add bathroom selfies and gangster poses to the mix.)

Why is it that no matter how settled I am in bed, inevitably I need to pee?

Is it possible to pick up a dream that you started the night before?

What will it take for me to get my teaching license?

Will anyone ever buy my photographs?  What about my book?

Does my blog even matter?

Will this be a good year?

I need to try putting down the book at night and attempt to go to sleep at a decent hour.  Honey, I promise I will try not to alligator roll and steal all the covers, if you promise to stop falling asleep so fast.  And puppies, stop farting in bed.  It isn't cool.



No comments:

Post a Comment