Friday, April 17, 2015

Is it a Job, or is it a Career?

I'll be honest, I love my current job, though it isn't just a job, it is a career.  My boss is incredible, our CEO and Exec Team want to grow the company exponentially.  I started my current position after losing my old job nearly a year to the day I started.  

I had been employed with a company that believed in nepotism and while the President didn't outright support it, his family made good use of it.  By that I mean they made it a point of actually saying "don't you know who I am" during several conversations over the year.  Frankly, I didn't care.

It was a blessing in disguise when I lost that job.  I had been working for an individual that had a sales background, but was hired to oversee both sales and marketing.  It's true.  Sales and marketing go hand in hand.  But he was a firm believer in avoiding all things social, unless it filtered through LinkedIn.    He relied on discussing things with his brother who worked for another company, as opposed to discussing them with me, the person that was hired to run marketing.  I should have known something was wrong that a day after I began working there, the President told me this individual was coming on board as my boss.  Red flags if I ever saw them.

The job prior, I worked for an experiential marketing company that would have been great, had I been 25.  The client I worked for was difficult at best, and I was never really taken into the fold of the account team.  Additionally, they thought it was ok to come into the office at 9:00 or 9:30 in the morning, as long as your ass was in the chair at 5:00 pm.  I am an early riser, and I loved getting in the office as early as 7:00.  I'm happier when I can leave at 3:30 or 4:00...I enjoy my life outside the office (though sometimes work late at night).  Needless to say, regardless of arriving that early, I had to be there until 5:00, and it was ok to be surfing the internet, as long as it was until 5:00.  I learned a lot and made some great friends, and will be grateful for that.  I'm also thankful that a high school friend took a chance and hired me.

Before that, I was unemployed for a few months, working just a temp job, after leaving a company that was even more dysfunctional than the company last year.  And before that, I was at a job I loved, working for a person that I hated, who decided to sever my employment after I organized our largest tradeshow of the year.  Shortly after I left, a significant number of people I worked closest with left as well.

Needless to say, there has been a lot of jumping around.  Being in marketing, I'm at the mercy of the budget.  No sales, no spend.  Plain and simple.

Fast forward to today and it was honestly one of the worst weeks there.  I'm stressed, and finding that my only outlets is writing...thus, this blog.  Sometimes I just need to get things out.  Someday, I'll freelance and make my own hours; and do what I really want to do, from exactly where I want to do it.    There is no try...there is only do.  End of story.

No comments:

Post a Comment