Saturday, December 30, 2017

New Years Eve Eve



2018 is almost here.  The day before the end of this year.

I'm ready, as is my husband, and a good handful of friends, and some family, to get on with putting this year behind us.  I know I'm looking forward to a fresh start, and to have to stop looking for a new job.  Next week is the week...I feel it (it helps having four interviews).

Everyone says things happen for a reason.  I try to think that, but sometimes life just sucks and you just deal with it.  At least that's what my husband says.

I have friends that swear by positivity and putting good out into the world.  I have others that are stressed and life has left them broken, and all they say is screw the world.  The best way that I know to get through life is be a survivor.  You never know what life has in store for you.  I certainly don't.

What we see on social media is a fraction of what someone's life is really like.  Granted, sometimes there is just too much info shared, but whatever floats your boat.  That's the beauty of scrolling past or unfollowing someone's feed.  There are only so many happy memes I can look at without wanting to gouge out my eyes.  And I'm sorry to say that I just don't care when you post "I can't even" with no context, or decide to share something about someone that you have had not an ounce of interaction with, but feel it's necessary to flood my feed with whatever it is you think your friends might care about.

Our family has spent the last nine days decompressing this year.  Tomorrow night there will be no parties or spending a fortune on dinner.   Midnight will come and go without any hoopla, instead life will go on while we are most likely tucked into our beds, fighting with our dogs to get off our numb legs.

Don't get me wrong, I hope you have a grand old time.  If you find it necessary to go out bar hopping tomorrow night, only to wake up with a wicked hangover on Monday morning, more power to you.  We did it a few years, but we were married young and had kids early, so going out on New Years more or less lost its appeal.  If you decide to stay home, sporting your pajamas while eating pizza straight from the box, have at it.  Or if you decide to go to an early movie and splurge on the large popcorn and pretzels, only to spoil dinner, you might be my spirit animal.  If you do go out, please don't drive.  Even if you think you are sober or you didn't have that much, you probably did, and you shouldn't be behind the wheel, or at the helm of a snowmobile.

Needless to say, enjoy these last two days however you want.  I'm covered in a blanket, nestled at our cottage while my husband watches UFC.   I'm looking forward to putting this year behind me.  2018 promises a brand new career, a 25th anniversary vacation, and an attitude that will stop me from worrying so much about everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment