Monday, March 21, 2016

From the desk of all things random and why resolutions don't work for me

I don't believe in making annual resolutions.  I cannot commit to something where I will inevitably fail.  In years past, I did believe in them.  I would give up soda (for a while); I would lose weight (still trying); I would be a better wife/mom/daughter (this can't be a once a year thing...it's a forever thing).

Instead of making a resolution, a couple of months ago I made a promise to myself that I would spend more time blogging.  I even wrote a note in my calendar to get out two blogs per week.  Sadly, I've failed at that too.  In January I was able to tackle four blogs, February, I was hot and heavy with nine (even doing double blogs on two days!), and March is off to a really slow start.

I haven't found anything I really wanted to write about.  Maybe I'm waiting for the warmer weather when the trials of our next door neighbor (affectionately referred to as Chainsaw) will be in full swing again...I cannot wait until State Fair parking.  Or maybe it will be about the grandma and son team across our street.  Will she ever go inside or is she doomed to live on that porch forever?  Or how about the 80-something old man that wanders down the street with his walker, and promptly sits down in front of random houses and falls asleep.  Will I write about the day I finally delete the 50 people I have kept on Facebook because it's easier to hide their feed than to worry about the drama that I feel will happen if I delete them?  (In hindsight, these people really need to be deleted ASAP)...there is one person I so want to write about, but I haven't.   

Perhaps I should write about the last three weeks of work.  Collectively, a group of us, had finally had enough and had gone to management and encouraged a personnel change.  After that person was finally gone, I had the honor of trying to get their laptop back in order.  It amazes me the things that were never done, the documents that were sent out of the office for personal use and the continual lies that happened on a daily basis.  I'll be the first one to say the office is a much more relaxed place and people are finally meshing.

Or maybe I will write an entire book on turning 46 and how menopause doesn't mean you are old. I remember my mom going through it in her early 40's.  (I swear though there are days I think she is still going through it at 77).  She was old when I was growing up.  I was born when she was 32.  When I was in high school, I thought my parents were dinosaurs.  Here I am at 45, my husband turning 46 and our youngest son almost 18.  I'm only a few years younger than my mom was when I was 18.  How is that even possible?  

I read quite a few blogs when I have time, and some of the things they write about are completely ridiculous...I love that.  Seriously...like writing about a family road trip through the southwestern US and seeing giant zombie hands sticking out of the ground.  Or how about a blog that focusing on being a mom with young kids...why am I still reading this?  At 17 and 22, our kids no longer have colic or throw tantrums (well, sort of, but not really).

I want to get back to writing about things that make people happy, or make me think, or even things that piss me off, without having to worry about what someone's reaction may be.  I want to write about funny things and ridiculous things and things that make you think what the hell.   I will be writing about random things that may or may not hit home.  Like pregnant hypochondriacs, close talkers and stupid pet tricks.   

After sending out a group message on Facebook today to a group of girlfriends, I've realized how we are all in the same boat.  These are women that come from all facets of my life.  High school friends, college friends, friends I've gained from being involved with our kids sports teams, and even one that was once an enemy.  They are all a good sounding board...something that I needed today.  Normally I just run things by my husband, but for this, I needed a woman's opinion. What better than 20+ women's opinions.  (For all you guys that read my blog, if you know whats good for you, do not comment on this paragraph...it won't end well for you).

As for resolutions, they may work for you.  If they do, bravo.  I wish they worked for me.  Instead, I'll just keep getting the blogs out when I can, or when I'm inspired.  Maybe I'll give up the soda, and get healthy once and for all.  As for the wife/mom/daughter challenge...they all know what they have with me, and they know I'm here for them.



No comments:

Post a Comment