Friday, January 9, 2015

What Was I Supposed to Remember?

I've come to the realization that I need to take a class, or read a book, on memory improvement.  How is it that I can remember four social security numbers, account numbers, login's and passwords, countless birthday's, anniversaries, football stats from 2009, grades from college the first time around, my ex-bosses kids turtles name and my first cell phone number, but I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast two days ago or that the laundry needs to come upstairs from the basement.

Why is this?  Am I the only one that seems overloaded, overwhelmed and generally overwrought? 

There are days that I wake up in the middle of the night and find it necessary to write down what popped into my head, because I know that if I just rely on my memory to remind me in the morning, I will forget it...only to remember it after a deadline.

I start each year fresh with a new calendar (or several) and rewrite everything that I put down when I got the last calendar six months ago.  I think that's a mom's necessity.  I need to see everything in writing so I'll get calendars that run from July - June and then from January - December, just so I cover all bases.   I keep my Outlook calendar up-to-date; I keep my Google calendar up-to-date; I set reminders and reminders of reminders.

When we went on vacation over the holidays, I was lucky enough to be able to work remotely so I didn't need to use any vacation time.  I would love to take another vacation where I could just put work away. I don't remember the last vacation where I didn't work. As I'm sitting here writing this during the quick half hour to myself, I swear I will have no recollection tomorrow morning of what I actually worked on in the office today.  (For the record: two press releases, copy for a web ad and two print ads, budget work, edited three pieces of marketing collateral, and research and a plan on how I can get our staff to actually follow our social media presence.)  

If anyone reads this and knows of a good book on memory improvement or organization, let me know.  Would love to share it with all of my friends, since I pretty confident we are all in the same boat.



No comments:

Post a Comment