Thursday, April 3, 2014

Friday Ramblings

Originally posted 3/22/13.

As I read posts on Facebook and blogs from friends and strangers, I think it's time to put something on paper/screen.    No doubt the blogs that follow will be one-topic oriented.  For the time being, this is a mash up of what's rattling around in my head today.

Most of my friends, all of my family, and possibly the patients in doctors’ offices and parents at baseball practices, know I am a book NUT.  If I could read all day long I would.  For the last year I've been thinking about writing.  Growing up, I was the biggest non-creative person in school.  Ideas would never come to me.  Stick figures were pathetic.  I would hide in corners and not want to be involved.   My career path has pushed me towards marketing.  Writing, public relations, photography, design, event planning...all creative.  Couple that with my innate need to organize and be in control, and it's me in a nutshell.  My husband will laugh at that comment. Me being in control. 

So, back to writing.  Would I love to write the next Hunger Games?  Absolutely.  What about Fifty Shades of Gray? (After my kids are out of the house).  Definitely.  I know I am a better writer. Do I think it will happen.  Doubtful.  Wait. Scratch that.  Maybe.  Why not me?  It has worked for other writers.  Now if I could only come up with that one great idea.  (Hint, hint...throw me an idea and I’ll include you in the credits and give you a piece of the pie).

One thing I would love to write about would be shit my friends/colleagues say.  But, to be safe, that one will be shared with only my closest confidants.  And it certainly won't have that title.  If and when I decide to try to get it published, then I'll share it with everyone.  By then it won't matter who I have offended.  Sorry. Not sorry.  Those of you that are privileged enough to get ranting messages from me that help keep me off the ledge, I thank you.  You know who you are.

Lately, my husband and I have been thinking about moving. Not today, not tomorrow, but sometime after our youngest is settled in college.   We absolutely love northern Wisconsin.  The peaceful winters, the slow pace, the thought of retiring somewhere we both are comfortable enough with calling home.  Obviously, job security stands in our way, as does college tuitions, selling our house and making the plunge.  Add to that our commitments to the boys activities and it all is a little overwhelming.   I wonder what it will be like when we do move and things slow down.  I'm sure he will coach or work with the snowmobile club and I know I'll be involved in something, even if its substitute teaching at the grade school or be involved with the PTA. As for the PTA, I'm sure I'll tell them they are doing it wrong.  To say I'm overbearing is an understatement.  Looking forward, the cabin may be the perfect place to write a novel.  Now if I could only win the lottery so I could actually write full time.

When our oldest left for college, I was hoping things would slow down.  I have been waist deep in the boys’ football programs, and baseball programs and track, recruiting and helping the boys get into a top college, and sometimes my sleep suffers.  But yet I keep going.   My husband called (s) me nuts for being so passionate about things that no one seems to care about but me.  I get frustrated often when people won't volunteer to help our/their kids programs and then they question (complain) about how my husband or I handle things.   I say if you don't like it, step up and do something about it.   I have an extensive range of friends that have stepped up to help, and believe me, they'll get used (haha).

I have a friend at work (yes, I do have friends) that is younger than me.  She embraces everything she does.  I laugh with her constantly because she has no filter and doesn't think twice about posting an embarrassing photo, blogging about the crap she finds at Walgreens or her passion for ring pops.  She is my inspiration for this blog.  She's had a tough six months since her mom passed away, and I've become a shoulder to cry on when she needs to vent.  She's a shoulder for me to bitch about stupidity.

There are things I would like to say about processes and procedures and the way things are run, but I'll save that for another day.   I have days where my patience wears thin, but I just move forward.  My husband is the king of passive aggressive behavior and has leaned the fine art of pissing people off without them knowing he caused it.  It is quite comical.  I wish I could embrace some of that.  He is my biggest fan, and if and when we decide to move, and I do or not decide to write a novel, become a photographer, or plan a hundred events, I know he'll be there cheering me on.

As the year goes on, I'll write about sports seasons, snowmobiling, books and anything I can dream up.  Anyone that really knows me knows that instead of writing this blog, I would love to be on my sled in northern Wisconsin enjoying this last week of the season.

If I have offended anyone in this or of you think I'm nuts and have nothing good to say, go ahead and delete me from Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.  I won't be offended.  It will just make room for others.

Peace out.
m

No comments:

Post a Comment