Sunday, March 29, 2015

Am I Really a Writer if I've Never Been Published?

It's Sunday afternoon and I am simultaneously working on two books and this blog, all while thinking about getting up and making dinner and folding the clothes in the dryer.

There are days that I don't think any of my ramblings are worth writing down.  Same goes for the pictures I take.  Why do I make the effort on Friday nights and Saturday afternoons and take upwards of 500 pictures at both high school and college football games?

Honestly, I have no idea.  Does anyone even read what I write?  I can track the opens on my blog, and I can track that pictures that get likes.  But does anyone really care what I put on paper (so to speak?).  Truly, I don't think it matters. I do this because I love it. I love to write and I love to take pictures.

My to-read pile is growing exponentially, and as I read articles and blogs, there is always a need to respond, albeit for my own benefit.  Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, and sometimes I stew on an article or blog, only to go back to it days later.

One of the books I am writing is now sitting at just over 43,000 words.  I'm hoping to draft another 20,000 words...but will it be enough?  Is it too much? I have no idea.  I've been shopping around editors and publishers, and toying with self-publishing.  I just want to get to a point where I can put the book to rest.

The other book I am working on is more photography based, but there is still content to write.  I know what I want to say; just need the time to do it.  I've picked the perfect image for the cover, and I can wait until it's finished.

Until I'm published, I expect the distraction of my blog, and multiple social media pages, will have to suffice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment